Monday, February 23, 2015

Social Media and Fashion

    The CMO's Guide To: The 2014 Social Landscape lists multiple social media outlets and rates them by a list of criteria including: SEO (social engine optimization), brand exposure, traffic to site, and customer communication.
    The two main social media sites I use to connect with the world of fashion are Pinterest and Instagram.
    Pinterest earned a "good" rating in 3 of the 4 categories, only scoring "OK" in the Customer Communication section due to the fact that "private messaging is nonexistent". However, starting at the end of 2014 Pinterest did introduce a private messaging aspect. In my opinion though, Pinterest is a more visual social media outlet: I don't necessarily go on there to talk to other people, just re-pin outfits I like. If I want to know where something is from I can click on the picture and most times it will take me to another site where I can get the information I need, essentially eliminating the middle-man and the need for communication.
    Instagram received a bad rating for the SEO part as well as Traffic Generation. This is mainly due to the fact that the app is more mobile-based as opposed to desktop, and there aren't really links that re-direct users to other sites.
I use Instagram to post pictures of my outfits (for the most part). If someone wants to know where I purchased a certain item, I can either tag each piece in the picture with the Instagram of the place I got it from or let them know in a comment.
    In general, I would say the social media sites I use work well for what I use them for, which is to showcase my own personal style and gain inspiration from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment