Saturday, January 28, 2017

Music to my ears- literally

I have never been, and will never be, a person that is concrete. Some people can decide to do something and stick with it until it's finished and I applaud those people. I get an idea in my head, and then another, and then another... I am never just pursuing one thing at a time. So I am considering two different ideas for my project. The first is a website to launch my record label. It would be a digital label. This would work as long as all the bands I plan to sign record their music digitally. Being a Communications major and possessing skills in HTML coding puts me at an advantage because I could build it entirely from scratch and really set myself apart from other digital labels. However, I am extremely detail-oriented and fear I might get too wrapped up in the minor aspects of it. Another potential challenge would be that in order to do this I would need to rely entirely on technology. If a file gets deleted or there's no Internet access I won't be able to do what I need to do.
The next idea I am contemplating is a paper which will chronicle my experience as an intern for Appalachian Jamwich over the next several months. Appalachian Jamwich is a magazine based out of Shepherdstown that features "visual artists and mid-level bands in the jam scene", according to their website, which you can find here. Working for Appalachian Jamwich will not only give me insight on what it's like to run a business, but considering I want to work with artists in this region, they can set me up with some really great contacts. Team members at the magazine regularly attend festivals and concerts and even host their own festival each June- The Mad Tea Party Jam, which can be seen below.
Working alongside Co-owners Daniel King, Elise Olmstead and Taco Olmstead and the rest of the team at Appalachian Jamwich and attending these events could really help me break into the music industry. One challenge of writing a paper would be the size of it. I would have to condense several months' worth of work to make sure it's readable. It also wouldn't entail the visual aspect that I crave.
Now that I sit here typing this, another idea would be to vlog my entire internship. I may end up pursuing multiple ideas if I find that I can manage my time well. I would hate to just "pick" something and produce mediocre results because I end up resenting my choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment